Due to the lockdown of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new form of education known as e-learning has emerged and is still growing in popularity. This EdTech system allows anyone to use the Internet to access educational resources, communicate with experienced lecturers, and obtain official qualifications. Furthermore, technical advancements are transforming e-learning into a more comfortable learning environment. Users nowadays study in virtual classrooms equipped with interactive whiteboards, shared workspaces, progress-tracking software, and other teaching and collaboration tools. Among various technologies to power the E-learning and make it more user-friendly, it would be insufficient if not mentioned to Machine Learning. To know more details about the benefits and use cases of Machine Learning in Online Education, let’s check the blog below!
1. What Is Machine Learning? Types Of Machine Learning in Online Education
Machine Learning is a branch of artificial intelligence (AI) and computer science which focuses on utilizing data and algorithms to imitate the way that humans learn, gradually improving its accuracy. Algorithms are trained to generate classifications or predictions using statistical approaches, revealing crucial insights in data mining initiatives. These insights then help businesses to make effective decisions, which contribute to growing sales and revenue.
Normally, Machine Learning methods are divided into 3 main types, depending on the way they receive information:
- Supervised learning: In the presence of uncertainty, supervised machine learning generates a model that makes evidence-based predictions. Using a known set of input data and known responses to the data, a supervised learning algorithm trains a model to generate reasonable predictions for the response to new data (output). As a result, the algorithm is capable of making sound decisions and producing accurate forecasts.
- Unsupervised learning: Unsupervised learning analyzes and clusters unlabeled datasets using machine learning algorithms. Without the need for human intervention, these algorithms uncover hidden patterns or data groupings. Its ability to detect similarities and differences in data makes it an ideal solution for exploratory data analysis, cross-selling strategies, customer segmentation, image, and pattern recognition. It's also used to reduce the number of features in a model via the dimensionality reduction process; principal component analysis (PCA) and singular value decomposition (SVD) are two popular approaches for this.
- Reinforcement learning: This is similar to a trial and error method in which a machine seeks the best actions to take in a set of different scenarios. It understands how to act under specific conditions, both in the short and long run, after receiving either a successful or an error result.
2. Top 5 Use Cases Of Machine Learning In Online Education
a. Delivery Of More Personalized e-Learning Contents
One of the benefits of machine learning in online education is its ability to use pattern recognition to predict learning outcomes. Machine Learning integrated into online learning can detect students' problems, where they are struggling, what they find difficult to learn, and so on. After identifying the issues, it automatically makes adjustments by providing useful information to help the process better. If a student demonstrates a specific skill gap, the system will automatically recommend personalized content to assist the learner in acquiring knowledge.
b. Chatbot Development
Chatbot Development is a must-have tool in any software development project, and the Elearning platform is no exception. Learners may have many questions, and staff may not always be able to respond immediately. At that point, a chatbot can support it. Chatbot, which is powered by AI and Machine Learning, can assist learners in completing tasks, addressing problems, or answering questions at any time, including late at night or on holidays, without the need for human intervention. Such virtual instructors never get tired of assisting users simply by inputting predefined rules, triggers, and events.
c. Apply Smart Grading For Your EdTech Solution
Assessment is required in education to determine how far a student has progressed. Machine Learning in the Elearning platform will provide an objective assessment of students' knowledge. They look at students' answers to see how well they understood the material rather than how well they repeated it. SotaTek's development team, for example, assisted clients in launching a BondLingo Learning Platform, which also included a level check test for students to assess their progress after watching all of the videos. This functionality is also available in Quizlet, a well-known EdTech solution. Their smart grading option goes beyond simply comparing a student's answer to the correct answer stored in the database. Instead, the algorithm analyzes the meaning of what is written and assigns a fair score, even if the answer is rewritten or contains typos or minor grammatical errors.
d. Machine Learning In Online Education Improves Return On Investment
A high-profit margin is guaranteed with machine learning. Why? So, your business can spend less money building your online training while still providing high-quality instruction. Besides, you can track your learners' progress and other learning experiences with the help of predictive analytics. This will enable you to use your eLearning resources at the appropriate time and location.
e. Suggest Disciplines To Study
It is a norm that many students are unsure about what they should learn, and luckily, Machine Learning can be a solution. It will provide unbiased advice based on the interests, test results, and school diploma scores of the users. As a result, users are more likely to select the curriculum that is most appropriate for them.
3. Final Thoughts: Adopting Machine Learning In Online Education
To sum up, E learning development software has now gained more popularity, allowing anyone to access qualified education no matter where they are. Because of this, many traditional educational institutions are attempting to adopt the most innovative technologies, such as Machine Learning, to power their EdTech solutions.
If you are wondering “How to get into EdTech?” or “What are Educational Software Development Companies?”, let’s contact SotaTek for more detailed information. Our development team can integrate not only AI and Machine Learning technology but also other cutting-edge ones into your e-Learning platform. We create compelling experiences for educational institutions by offering exceptional Edtech services such as AI assessments, immersive learning experiences, interactive E-learning platforms, real-time monitoring of the educational process, skill assessment, and certification awards. Our service has also been used successfully by organizations to incorporate training pieces at various levels and departments. So, if you have a project idea in mind, our IT experts will quickly learn about it, provide an estimate, and get your project up and running.