Enterprise resource planning (ERP), is a powerful option for businesses attempting to integrate data, applications, and users. This term has long been associated with the Manufacturing Industry. It was originally used to characterize MRP systems from the 1990s that could also handle accounting, human resources, and other tasks. However, the ERP industry has changed dramatically in the last 40 years since this word was coined. This has prompted many specialists to wonder, "What industries utilize ERP software?". In this article, let’s get a comprehensive idea about certain industries that should make use of integrated ERP solutions to enhance productivity and streamline their processes.
Related: 5 Signs Which Imply Odoo ERP Implementation is Essential For Your Business
1. What is an ERP System?
Enterprise resource planning (ERP) is a collection of software programs that standardizes, streamlines, and integrates corporate operations across different departments such as finance, human resources, procurement, and distribution. ERP systems typically run on an integrated software platform with common data definitions operating on a single database.
An enterprise resource planning system can be thought of as the glue that holds many computer systems of a major company together. Each department's system would be tailored to its specific requirements using an ERP application.
2. Which Industries Can Benefit from an ERP System?
ERPs were originally developed for manufacturing organizations, but they have now extended to several industries, including education, hospitality, healthcare, and eCommerce. Each industry has its own set of ERP quirks. Let's look at how integrated ERP solutions assist organizations in various areas.
Any healthcare facility's principal objective is to provide patients with the best possible health care. In this case, patient data management becomes crucially significant. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) spells out the importance of safeguarding Protected Health Information (PHI) and the consequences of failing to do so. Despite the fact that manufacturing does not usually take place in a hospital setting, there are still a lot of materials to keep track of. An ERP can readily handle the various items utilized in healthcare on a regular basis, as well as their sourcing and procurement.
ERP for healthcare is a technical program made up of modules that track data and allow communication across divisions within an organization. Employees are able to work more efficiently as a result, improving performance and production. Furthermore, using hospital management ERP systems increases the pace of health care services are delivered both internally and externally.
Related: Top 4 ERP Features That Companies in Healthcare Industry Uniquely Need
As a result, including hospital management ERP software in the area of healthcare is also beneficial. The healthcare business may benefit from ERP in several aspects:
- It is feasible to keep track of patient records and data archives and make better use of them.
- Process automation eliminates the possibility of data duplication and reduces mistakes.
- A healthcare ERP would also be able to manage data related to human resources, such as payroll.
- Customer relationship management (CRM) that is superior leads to better patient care, cost savings, and more opportunities.
- The replacement of manual charting with electronic health records (EHR) enhances the efficiency of obtaining and transmitting the information.
- Cloud ERP for healthcare inspires enhanced treatment and recovery plans for patients in healthcare facilities since all data is available on a single system.
- An ERP's superior accounting features would also enable efficient financial management across the healthcare system. A healthcare ERP, in conjunction with sophisticated business intelligence tools, would be capable of giving analysis on metrics such as care expenditures vs. care quality.
One of the industries that propel the US economy is manufacturing. Like any other industry, the manufacturing industry is eager to embrace new technology. The following are some of the numerous advantages of integrated ERP solutions in this industry:
- Manufacturing: The primary goal of any ERP program is to enhance operational efficiency and ROI (return on investment). In order to do this in the manufacturing business, the corporation must keep track of the many activities that take place in the production environment, such as product planning, product forecasting, and maintaining product quality. Another key element of ERP systems is automation, which helps businesses in processes of planning, scheduling, and delivery. Automation, in general, leads to better time management and fewer downtimes. Quality control features and end-to-end audit processes are also integrated into several ERP systems.
- Operations: To get a fast overview of the whole production process, you'll need to manage your supply chain. This involves managing all aspects of your product flow, from manufacturing to fulfillment through returns and reimbursements. Customers will be more satisfied since they will have a basic sense of availability, cost, and delivery. It is feasible to decrease expenses and compete by efficiently managing your supply chain activities.
- Inventory management: Inventory management is an important aspect of the manufacturing industry. ERPs can help with inventory management and provide information on warehouse operations and inventory levels. This cuts down on waste and unnecessary costs.
- Procurement: The procurement process is another important aspect of the manufacturing industry. Quotations, supplier information, purchase requests, and other activities are all part of the procurement process. ERPs facilitate collaboration with all parties involved, including suppliers, contractors, and internal departments that engage directly with these external organizations.
An eCommerce platform is a software application that helps online retailers manage their websites, marketing, sales, and operations. Consider Shopify, Magento, BigCommerce, Squarespace, and others. When you link your eCommerce platform with an ERP solution, data is seamlessly transmitted between the two systems, allowing your company to operate more efficiently as a whole. While a website may definitely function without a link to an ERP, connectivity can remove numerous time-consuming processes. The following are top 5 advantages that ERP integration can provide to eCommerce businesses.
- Better customer experiences: By integrating ERP and eCommerce, consumers may be kept informed throughout the sales process. Customers can be notified of modifications and have real-time data available to them. You can assist create long-term connections with your consumers by providing them with the up-to-date product and delivery information.
- More shipping choices: Buyers may customize their shipment strategy depending on cost, delivery time, special handling, and other factors. Integration also allows for sophisticated split shipment to numerous global destinations, as well as the use of various shipping and transportation methods.
- Operational costs reduction: Sales orders can be transmitted directly from your eCommerce platform to your ERP system when your eCommerce platform is integrated with an ERP solution. With real-time data on inventory management, you can save unnecessary expenditures.
- Greater control and insight: You can automatically produce financial reports for your business with a tight ERP eCommerce integration. Learn which items are performing well and which ones need to be improved so you can adjust your approach fast. You can make strong decisions quickly based on accurate data thanks to fast synchronization and the flexibility to view information from any device.
- Increase trust and credibility: Retaining customers requires a high level of reliability and trust. Customers are significantly more likely to purchase from you again if they have insight into all stages of the buying process and are provided correct information. Your team will have more time to explore new areas of development as your customers become more self-reliant.
The hospitality industry has a reputation for fierce rivalry. With so much at risk, businesses are under growing pressure to develop new incentive structures in order to keep their consumers. By automating all of the company's activities, an ERP system enhances its ROI.
Businesses that deal with a large number of transactions on a daily basis need a smart and efficient system that simplifies all of their procedures. Hotel and restaurant management systems must be robust and adaptable, reducing manual procedures and assisting stakeholders in making data-driven choices.
- Manage your guests: Customer retention is essential in the hospitality industry. Tasks are automated with an ERP system, and delivering offers and notifications to repeat consumers, as well as preparing new offers, becomes a seamless procedure.
- Witness the increase in productivity: Front-desk personnel at a hotel can obtain real-time information regarding room availability, check-ins and checkouts, charge computations, and delivery services thanks to the deployment of an ERP system. With a single button click, you can manage the menu, automobile listings, prices, and discounts.
- Business modules that add value: ERP systems are made up of a number of modules that may handle various verticals. The core modules are finance, human resources (HR), buying, inventories, and customer relationship management (CRM). Importantly, the data is updated in real-time, which means that if a need develops in the purchasing department, the finance department is immediately alerted, ensuring there is no delay in allocating the budget.
- Track your business 24/7: ERP systems keep close track of the number of ongoing processes from a single workstation. It synchronizes several courses, from kitchen orders through servicing, as well as room availability and checkouts. ERP systems provide information such as stock availability, movement, customer traffic, and budget projections.
- Order management and payment: Every day, restaurants and hotels process a huge number of payment transactions. Transactions are automated and declared error-free using a strong POS (point of sale) linked ERP software. Another sale module's aspect is dynamic pricing, which allows companies to establish changeable costs for hotel rooms or dishes supplied based on prior customer visits, venue, season, local events, and other factors. Furthermore, the POS systems have tax margins that automatically calculate taxes for each transaction.
- Drive your future with analytics: Restaurant and hotel ERP software can generate a wide range of automatic reports based on a variety of industry parameters. This monitors and prioritizes attempts to boost the company's sales and profits.
An ERP software system may be the best approach for higher education and research institutions to handle the various logistical aspects of their day-to-day operations. While ERP users in an educational institution may not be tracking every part of the supply chain, they will be utilizing the software to keep track of accounting with built-in audit trails and centralized access to all ledgers. ERP software can help educational institutions enhance their operational efficiency by providing capabilities such as:
- Student and faculty management: An effective ERP system can manage critical education sector activities such as student and teacher attendance, schedules, and so on. In addition, timely warnings and notifications can be delivered to a department or individual.
- Hostel management: For educational institutions offering hostels to students, hostel management can be a difficult undertaking task. The management, on the other hand, can keep track of the capacity of various rooms in the hostel using ERP software. The ERP software can keep track of the occupancy levels at all times and assign rooms to students in a reasonable manner. In addition, the system can keep track of when students enter and depart the dormitory.
- Account management: Almost every ERP system includes a built-in accounting module. Educational institutions can adapt the module to meet their own business needs, such as payroll management, fee management, invoice generation, and so on.
- Inventory management: Having control over inventory will cut down on wastage. ERPs can maintain track of all of the institution's asset acquisitions. These can be either fixed assets, such as computers and exercise equipment, or perishable commodities, such as food. Institutions can optimize their expenditures by keeping track of units and eliminating unnecessary purchases.
3. Wrapping Up
You can have all of the necessary tools to manage a project's complete lifetime by integrating various systems into an all-inclusive solution. This is critical since inadequate document management, scheduling, and accounting software can cause construction projects to be delayed. If unexpected situations emerge, the lack of integrated Software Solutions might be disastrous for the construction project.
Customized ERP functions allow companies to tailor their ERP to their specific needs. Allowing complete flexibility across departments makes your business operate more smoothly and improves communication. SotaTek is strategically positioned to provide you with the most comprehensive integrated ERP solutions, tailored to your specific requirements, which will successfully match your business's stringent guidelines. If you're ready to discover how an ERP can help your business scale, contact our IT experts for more details!