With the growing demand for digital transformation, traditional software development appears to be falling behind. The number of organizations looking for a Technical partner to build their own software is rising remarkably, especially during the COVID-19 pandemic, in the hopes of supporting business operations, engaging customers, boosting sales, and revenue. Therefore, a new type called Low Code Platform has emerged. It reduces the amount of required hand-coding and relieves the burden on IT teams. Gartner predicted in February that the global low-code development technologies market would rise by 23% this year alone. And if you want to gain more insights about Low Code Development, keep reading!
1. What Is A Low Code Platform?
Low-code development is a visual drag-and-drop technique to development that enables enterprises to build applications considerably faster and with less hand-coding. These platforms enable developers to create websites and apps with only a basic understanding of:
- Concepts in computer science or software engineering
- Latest software development frameworks and libraries
With the minimum amount of hand-coding, low-code allows users to quickly and easily construct solid apps with appealing UI, modern integrations, and intelligible logic. As a result, organizations can increase their agility and productivity by using low-code builders. Besides, low-code also provides end-to-end digitalization, which implies that a platform may be used throughout the whole application development cycle, from collecting and organizing all business data to designing the app architecture and managing testing, development, and deployment.
2. Top Low Code Development Use Cases
With the prediction of reaching $187 billion by 2030 in the global low-code development market, it means that it can be a good fit for various types of apps:
- Customer Engagement App
Normally, these apps encounter demanding use cases in terms of seamlessness, usability, and multi-channel access. And low code can help. Considering that a lot of enterprises don’t have sufficient UX resources, low-code app development platforms have the advantage of offering an incorporated UI framework with numerous handy widgets and building blocks that aim to simplify the development of multi-channel apps for users without any UX background.
- IoT apps
IT Developers can easily use the low-code development approach to integrate IoT platforms with their apps, whether they are web or mobile apps. The IoT data obtained from such platforms can then be transformed into actionable insights to provide end-users with a variety of services such as real-time traffic updates. Companies can also use the insights to make better business decisions.
- Operational Efficiency App
The primary goal of operational efficiency apps, such as supply chain management, claims and invoice processing, university registration, and order management apps, is to cut costs through automating complex and time-consuming manual and/or paper-based processes. And the low-code approach will somehow contribute to such a goal. It is well-designed and simple to use while cost-effective, so, it can enable the development of advanced operational efficiency applications and significantly simplify their processes.
- Omnichannel Solution
In the banking industry, low code platforms have some effective use cases. The use of a low-code approach can save time and energy when developing applications such as online banking (which allows customers to access their business and personal accounts at any time, from any location, and on any device).
These requirements necessitate that the application retrieves data from various data sources (APIs, Custom Business Logic, databases, files, cloud services, legacy apps) and generates mobile and web-ready dashboards. Low-code data science solutions include these integrations with business logic and APIs and live data grids, real-time charts, and live lists that provide instant data visibility.
3. What Are The Limitations Of Low Code Platform Development?
Despite the fact that the goal of low-code development is to make the software development process easier, it is not a good fit for every development task due to these limitations:
- Restricted customization options: In low-code platform development, customization tools are limited. This means that businesses must modify their processes to accommodate low-code application capabilities.
- Limited flexibility: Low code platforms have a limited number of components. When a company wants to add a specific feature, the drag and drop building blocks may not be sufficient. In those cases, the company must write custom code to enable specific functionality. And, in terms of maintenance, these additional codes within apps can be ignored, resulting in unplanned outages or bugs.
- Limited integration options: When using low code to build an app, they may experience integration issues, especially when migrating legacy applications.
- Security: Because low code platforms are cloud-based platforms, they are developed by users with limited experience in information security and do not have complete control over the development. As a result, security breaches are a risk in low code development, particularly those that are exposed to the outside world must be audited for security flaws.
4. Final Thoughts
In conclusion, low code development appears to be very promising and is set to continue reshaping business IT by allowing anyone to participate in the development process. Although this type of software development can provide numerous advantages, it is recommended that you examine the specifics and requirements of your business, consider the customization and integration capabilities of the various platforms, and decide what functions you want your application-to-be to perform before selecting it.
Feel free to contact us if you want to build a fully-fledged, robust, and secure solution for your business needs. SotaTek is a Top Custom Software Development Company in Vietnam that employs world-class developers to create complex yet distinctive and multi-functional applications. We will design a digital solution that meets all of your requirements and, more importantly, we will create an all-encompassing roadmap outlining the key aspects and minutiae of the entire project. When you join our partnership network, you can be confident that your end-users will be satisfied, resulting in a significantly shorter application development lifecycle time, a reduced time-to-market, increased IT output, and improved ROI.